Thursday, January 31, 2008

Have Food, Need Hungry People

Last night I got home from the pool late even though my class had been cancelled (honestly, I wasn't that disappointed to not have to swim another two miles), and I didn't have time to set out breakfast for the boys, get their clothes out, and make M's lunch before I collapsed into bed. Therefore, when I got up this morning I had to work in turbo mode to get it all done before both boys had to be at preschool. I did it all, but I had a raging headache by the time I dropped M and E off. I was glad to have the next two hours mostly to myself (except for T), and grateful for the silence that is left when the older boys are out of my care (they can be a bit irascible at times). Thank goodness for a quiet baby. I got the grocery shopping and a few errands done before I had to be back to get E, so I felt pretty productive despite the continued headache. All that work was worth it though to see the beautiful smile on E's face when I picked him up. Most days I'm not sure that what I am doing at home with these boys is very important, and I usually feel pretty worthless, but seeing how happy and well adjusted that little boy is growing up to be made me feel like I must be doing the right thing. He walked right up to the van with a great big smile on his face, and handed me his prized artwork. "It's for you Mommy!", he tells me, and continues, "I missed you Mommy." It just doesn't get better than that. I took my sweet little boy home for a turbo nap before we had to pick up M two hours later.

For dinner I decided to try something new. Being inspired by my friend Julie, I made my very own home made tortillas and although they didn't look quite like they should, they were GOOD. I have no idea how those little Mexican women can make such beautiful circular tortillas - it isn't as easy as it looks. I wound up with squovals with arms, but I ate them anyway. I will never go back to store bought tortillas again - they are full of chemicals I can't pronounce and they aren't that good anyway. I found that rolling out the dough into strange shapes was fairly therapeutic (and a pretty good arm workout) in my quiet kitchen with Jim Brickman playing in the background (T was in bed and the boys were playing downstairs - amazing during dinner prep time), and when I was done I was rewarded for my meditation with dinner! Sadly, no one was around to eat it. M doesn't eat what I make - he keeps Kellogg's in business, E was uninterested in eating, T ate a few bites of the tortillas before choking on them, Chris was stuck at work until 7:30pm, and I now had an upset stomach as well as a headache. Anyone hungry? I have dinner for six sitting in my refrigerator.

1 comment:

Blessed By 8 said...

Yummy, yummy! I wish I could bop on over right now!!!