Sunday, January 20, 2008

Searching for REAL Food

I purposely scheduled us to get home on Saturday so we would have a recovery day before Chris had to go back to work and M had to go back to school. I am so glad I did because we needed it. We all slept in and then took a nap again later. I think even a restful vacation tires me out.

We spent the day getting ready for the week: grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, and unpacking. The boys were happy to be home with all of their toys - it's like they're all new again. I didn't really see either one of them all day because they were so excited about playing in their room. T seemed happy to be back in his crib. He was pretty tolerant about all the places we made him sleep on vacation, but you could almost hear the sigh of relief when I laid him down in his own crib last night.

While grocery shopping today I attempted to follow the advice Michael Pollan gives in the book I am reading (In the Defense of Food): "Eat food (not food products), not too much, mostly plants." I was shocked to find that there are chemicals and scary sounding things added to products like grated cheese (neomycin - which Chris says has been removed from use in the OR due to its ability to cause toxicity in the gut) and flavored yogurt (xanthum gum and lecithin - removed from soybeans using hexane!) - yikes! So, I opted for the non-grated cheese, which was composed entirely of milk and enzymes and plain yogurt that was composed of milk and lactobacillus cultures. Real food! The amazing part: my grocery bill was about 25% cheaper than it usually is because I didn't buy all of the processed crap I usually do (crackers, sauces, marinades, cereals, bars, etc.). My kids are going to learn to eat real food instead of subsisting on crap. I will still buy them macaroni and cheese, but it's going to be the stuff that comes with real cheese instead of orange powder that claims to be cheese, and I will still let them eat cereal, but it's going to be Cheerios and Shredded Wheat instead of CrunchBerries and Chocolate Pops. I am determined. You gotta read the book to understand.

While I am on the subject of food I have to brag about my wonderful friend/neighbor who called me up at 4pm and asked if she could bring me a dinner she had just prepared. She brought over spaghetti pie, crescent rolls, and broccoli - all of which was fabulous - probably partially because she is a very good cook and partially because I didn't have to make it myself. I have no idea what I did to deserve such a nice gift, but I will be sure to return the favor in the near future. I am really going to miss this woman!

1 comment:

Blessed By 8 said...

I am with you on the REAL food quest....that has been my new goal since the beginning of this week. Out with the crap! :o)