I usually hate flying with children, what with all the screaming, kicking, constant demands, boredom, and general crabbiness, but today was wonderful. Can you believe I am using the words wonderful and flying in the same sentence? When we boarded the plane I had two empty seats next to me and I knew I was going to be stuck nursing T with a crabby businessman next to me, but to my surprise, a nice looking lady and her baby took the seat, and the middle seat was left open. It turned out that we had a LOT in common and spent almost two hours talking before we noticed that the plane had taken off and we were halfway to MN. We spent the last hour and a half napping with our napping babies while Chris played defense against M and E across the aisle. After landing, Chris looked pretty haggard, but I felt great - now that's the way to fly. The boys actually did pretty well - no major meltdowns or scream fests, and they occupied themselves quite nicely with their Lego cars.
Lisa and Derek picked us up at the airport (where it was -3 degrees) and took us back to their house for homemade pizza and wine. We had a really great time talking with them and I loved their pizza enough to consider dumping my own recipe and using theirs from now on. (Instead of taking two hours to make pizza dough they put some olive oil on the bottom of a flour tortilla and top with pizza topping - the result: a brick oven thin crust pizza! Fantastic!) I look forward to the days when we live close enough to have pizza parties every week. The boys had a great time watching Lisa's movie collection while sitting Siskel and Ebert style on bar stool chairs. You just can't find a better quietus for hyper children than a new movie.
On the way home the boys fell asleep fast and hard, giving Chris and me lots of time to rehash our trip and to make plans for the next few weeks. I have a lot of packing and cleaning to do if we are going to get this house on the market by March, and Chris has a lot of studying to do to get ready for his oral boards in April. I never really liked the time from the end of January until the start of spring anyway, so it seem to be a good time to do some serious cleaning and packing - and swimming - I've been running all week and I can't wait to get back in that pool tomorrow!
P.S. Thank you to my sister for coming to see us off this morning. When we drove away from Grandma's house it hit me that today was the first time that Grandma was standing in the driveway waving goodbye to me without Grandpa by her side. I am so glad you were standing there with her.
No comments:
Post a Comment