Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mean Mommy Needs Sleep

For some reason I just could not fall asleep last night. E came in to our room at 2am and I was still wide awake. The last time I looked at the clock it said 2:45am. I am wondering if that decaf coffee I had at the party last night was not so de-caffed. I am sure there are not many things more annoying in this world than tossing and turning for three hours before you fall asleep (when you really are tired and know how much it's going to hurt the next day). I couldn't even take a nap with the boys this afternoon because even though I was so tired, I still couldn't fall asleep. What the heck? I've never had a problem falling asleep - being able to fall asleep anytime, anywhere, is like my trademark. Is this what happens when you get old?

I had friends over for dinner again tonight - I say "I" because Chris got called back in at 5pm so I was left to entertain our company myself - and clean up afterwards and get the kids to bed (which was no easy feat considering they were hyped up from jumping in the bounce house and eating too much chocolate cake). I ended up leaving half of the cleaning for tomorrow morning, which I hate doing because it just reminds me of what a lazy bum I was the night before. But, that's not the worst of it. I couldn't get my hyper children to bed (at 9:30pm) so I threatened them that if they didn't get into bed "right now!", I would take all of their Legos away. Yes, that's a bit harsh. They got into bed, no questions asked. E was too scared of me to come ask for his favorite Raffi - I found it in my room a few minutes ago. Now I just feel awful. Do you see what happens to me when I don't get enough sleep!?!

One more sad story: During dinner M came upstairs with his hands over his face and told me, "I think something's wrong with my nose." He took his hands away and his entire face was covered with blood. After fixing him up and showing him how to pinch his nose I went downstairs to investigate. It looked like a scene from a horror show - blood was smeared all over the walls, on the coffee table, permeating his clothes, and completely covering the bathroom sink. Amazingly, there was not one drop on the carpet. How do you think he managed that?

All right, one last story for today: When the boys were driving me crazy this afternoon I put in an "old" home video of when E was 10 months old (exactly T's current age). All three boys were riveted. They watched the entire thing - all 90 minutes of it - and loved it. What amused me the most was watching T crawl around on the floor and seeing baby E doing the exact same thing on the screen. I found the whole thing so humorous I took some video of the kids watching themselves on video so someday they can watch themselves watch themselves on video...and then I can take some more video and the cycle can continue on.

The End. I'm going to bed.

No comments: