Friday, January 25, 2008

And the Award for Most Annoying Parents Goes To...

My children are addicted to watching themselves on home video. I found about ten DVDs by the TV in my bedroom (as I was cleaning off the dresser earlier this week), popped one in to preview, and they boys have been hooked ever since. E wakes up now asking to watch "the baby Efan mohie (that's E speak for movie). How can I refuse? At first I thought it was kind of fun, but I have since decided that this is a form of self torture. I've had to turn the volume almost off because hearing myself talk is driving me crazy - I actually asked M today, "geeze M, are we always this annoying?" His answer: "Yes." There are a few points on one of the videos where we are relentlessly quizzing M, "what color is that? what does the kitty say? where does daddy work? what's the baby's name? what letter is this? what color is the sky? where do you live?" and on and on and on. Oh, and let's not forget the times where M doesn't seem to be paying attention to us. Then we sound like this: "Matthew, Matthew, Matthew, Matthew, Matthew..." OH MY GOD STOP IT ALREADY! We are the most annoying parents in the entire world and I can't stand living with myself on videotape anymore! Therefore, either I have to stop being so dang annoying or I just have to stop videotaping myself talking. I'm not sure which will be harder for me. All I can say is, I now understand why I bug M so much. I bug me too.

Aside from the video-induced self loathing, we had a fairly good day. It snowed quite a lot so I spent an hour out in the driveway and on the sidewalks shoveling while T slept and M and E played Legos down in their room. They have rediscovered the Duplo Legos again and played really nicely together with them today - for a few hours at a time. T spent most of the morning upstairs with me eating newspaper while I made bread and tried a new pizza dough recipe (which I didn't like - not crispy). I really don't know how the day has passed so quickly - it was kind of a blur of feeding children, cleaning up their messes, changing their diapers and clothes (numerous times), packing, cleaning, organizing, laundry, and email. That pretty much sums up all of my days. What a life - and I have it all on DVD - every bland and excruciating moment of it (okay not every moment - but probably far too many).

1 comment:

Andrea S. said...

ha ha ha. Well, I think that's part of the job description--annoy your kids. We practice on our brothers and sisters while we're young so we can be pros at it as adults.

Speaking of mundane videos...check out my blog post this afternoon. WAY mundane.