Monday, January 21, 2008

So That's Why All the Kids Were Out Playing!

I always knew I would someday show up at my children's school on a day school was not in session. Today was the first (and probably not the last) time I did it. I spent twenty minutes getting all three kids bundled up, packed up M's backpack, got the diaper bag together (who knows what you'll need on a three minute car trip - especially if you get stuck in the snow), and got myself bundled up. Then there was fifteen minutes of convincing M and E to get in the car - they didn't want to go to school because they were busy playing. M told me, "I don't have to go to school today!" Chalking that statement up to his callow nature, I told him that he did, and that the car was leaving in five minutes with or without him in it. Then there was the seven minute harrowing drive to school (the roads were very icy with that powdery slick snow on top) and then as we pulled into the parking lot I realized it was completely empty. I told M: "I don't think there's school today." He replied: "I told you so." Stupid Mommy (my words, not his).

So we spent the remainder of the afternoon reading, playing, napping, and making a huge mess of the downstairs that poor Chris had to clean up when he got home because I had to rush off to volleyball (we lost again - we are awful!) and then to Let's Dish to participate in a group dinner making party. I split eight meals with a friend, so now I have eight meals in my freezer ready and waiting for the evenings that I am just too tired or crabby to cook. It's not exactly slow food, but it's not fast food either. I have to have a backup and for now, this is it.

I spent the morning cleaning up and organizing my bedroom (thanks to FlyLady) to speed the moving packing along. It really looks beautiful - with just 30 minutes of work - and I still have the rest of the week to work on it. When Chris got home he walked out the kitchen (from the bedroom) and asked, "Is that our bedroom or has someone else already moved in?" That made me smile.

No comments: