In Finding Nemo Dory sings a little song, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..." that I sang to myself at my class tonight...we didn't swim for 90 minutes like I was worried we would...we swam for 75 - and that's about 45 minutes more than I have ever done in my life. The guy who is the usual coach was gone tonight so a cute little high school swimmer was there in his place. She started us off with a warm up, some drills, and some stroke technique. I was pretty much ready to be done after that and then she said, "okay, now we'll start the workout." Ergh. When she told us how long our "workout" was I think my eyes must have popped out of my head - it basically amounted to a mile - which is WAY more than I though I could ever do. I asked her if she was prepared to sit for a while as I slowly made my way across the pool. She just smiled and said, "we have time." How nice for her. After all that, we did a few time trials, some lunges (outside the pool), and then a cool down. Good grief! The amazing thing was the time passed really quickly, and I wasn't completely exhausted when we were done. I actually had a really good time and had fun talking with the other student - who amazingly enough, was about the same skill level as I am. I'm sad (kind of) that I will miss next week's workout (I will be in California), but I plan on going on some great runs with my sister instead.
Considering how much energy I expended this evening, I think it's a good thing we didn't do much today. I packed up some more of the kitchen, and I now have a very clear counter top and some empty cupboards - it's wonderful! I wish I had done this long ago, and I vow only to bring the things I use or love to my new house. The Goodwill is going to make out well this year. M had a good time helping me put things into boxes - and then every once in a while he would take something out to play with it. He especially loved the wine rack Sarah gave us a few years ago. He said it would make a really good garage for his cars. I let him play with it after promising me he would be careful with it and that he would put it back in the box when he was done...and he did.
T is starting to show the pertinacious side of his personality - he has started screaming at us when we take something away from him, and he continues until he finds something equally interesting (and dangerous) or M gets sick of him and tells me to put him in time out. I have actually put T in time out a few times already, partially to show M that if nothing else, I am a fair mom, and partially because I actually can't stand the screaming anymore either. I am so lucky - I have two screamers on my hands now - and I just couldn't be happier about it (not). That's why I swim - it's very quiet in the pool - I wish I had discovered it long ago.
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Just Keep Swimming...
Posted by
Alison
at
9:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I just can't read a post of yours without giggling. :) The swimming experience sounds wonderful (in an exhausting, yet exhilarating way). And it's so nice that you have such a great little helper in M. Miss you guys...have a fun trip to CA.
Post a Comment