I got a phone call from Becky at 3am this morning to tell me that Grandpa died peacefully in his sleep last night.
I couldn't sleep after that phone call, so I decided to get up and write down some of my favorite memories of him. This is by no means an all inclusive list - just what I can think of off the top of my head in my current emotionally frazzled state...I will always remember how Grandpa used what I thought of as "old fashioned" one liners like, "son of a gun" and others that escape me at the moment, but I will add later.
He sang old songs to us: "Ka ka ka Katie, Beautiful Katie, You're the only girl that I adore, when the ma ma ma moon shines over the cow shed, I'll be waiting at the ka ka ka kitchen door." Good luck finding that on YouTube.
Grandpa liked to go on walks with us. I don't know very many 80 year olds that would hike in Yosemite or go camping, but he did. My favorite childhood memories are of camping with my family and my grandparents, hiking the trails in Yosemite, eating Grandma's five course campground meals, and snuggling up under a sleeping bag while listening to Grandpa tell us stories of his youth.
I also loved watching Grandpa watch his family argue themselves into a dither when we all came to visit. Our family is animated and opinionated - and while he would contribute to the conversation if we ever let him, for the most part he was content to watch us tire ourselves out and then deliver some snappy one liner to finish it all off.
Grandpa loved politics - or maybe he hated them - it is sort of a love/hate topic. I always dreaded him asking me what I thought about _____ (fill in the blank with some current event/issue) because only rarely had I ever heard about what he was asking me much less have formed an intelligent opinion about it. I have always admired Becky and Danny for being able to answer his questions in an articulate manner. Lucky for me, Grandpa could be diverted from his line of questioning with an innocent, "what do you think Grandpa?" I always left our visits way more informed than when I arrived.
Speaking of politics: I know Grandpa is still rooting for Hillary from Heaven.
I think what I love most about my Grandpa is how he could admire the simple beauty of anything - from a well written book to a well constructed piece of machinery to a picturesque landscape. He admired it all and taught me to appreciate them as well. It took me a long time to understand how he could be so intrigued at the boring equations in my science books, but I have always and will always share his love of the outdoors.
I wish my Grandpa peace and a final thank you for his role in shaping me into the person I have become. I love you Grandpa.

2 comments:
Oh Ali....I am so sorry about the loss of your Grandpa. What a wonderful tribute you are writing about him. He sounds like a wonderful man....the perfect Grandpa. Keep writing and remembering.....may these memories bring peace to your soul. I love you!
I had forgotten about "Ka-Ka-Ka-Katie"! I was always jealous that Grandpa had a song about Katie and not about us. He also liked "It's a long way to Tipperary," which I remember gleefully singing along with despite not even have the foggiest idea where Tipperary was. (A long ways away, obviously!) He had such a love of music in general. They still listened to your choir music every Christmas, decorating the tree. Back when I had more (which is to say, any) songs in my piano repertoire, he would ask me to play him a few every time I visited, and would grow all misty eyed at Chopin and Debussy. Thanks for all your memories, Ali, they helped me conjure more of my own...
Post a Comment