Thursday, January 17, 2008

Musical Beds

This cartoon made me laugh this morning. I can totally identify with the constant mess making ability children possess, although I haven't really had to deal with that this week because we've been out of the house enough (and because there just aren't as many toys here). What I have had to deal with his week is a horrible new game these children have invented called "musical beds." They don't actually call it that, but they certainly know how to play it. We have taken over all three guest bedrooms at Grandma's house, and every morning we are all in a different bed than we fell asleep in the night before. No, none of us are sleepwalkers, we just have boys that get lonely or scared at 2am and come to find mom and dad. After about ten minutes of snuggling Chris and I get annoyed and move to another bed. Bad parenting, better sleeping. It's just easier to move that to upbraid them for bugging us.

We had a pretty relaxing day. Becky came at noon and we took the boys and Grandma to a nice park for a run (Becky and I) and a walk (Grandma, Chris, and all three boys). It was sunny and warm, and Becky and I had a nice talk, which made the time fly by. Near the end when M saw us he ran to catch up with us and ran for the last 5 minutes with us - and kept up pretty well.

Becky taught me how to make meatballs tonight, and they were wonderful. I think I will get that recipe from her and post it. We spent about an hour after dinner talking with my Grandma and she told us some wonderful stories about living on the farm and meeting Grandpa that I had never heard before. I believe she wrote them all up and had them bound into a book a while ago, but I don't think I have ever read the entire thing, so I have missed some of the stories. I told her tonight that I think I have talked more with her this week than I have in the past ten years. I have really treasured this time with her, but I imagine she is about ready to have her house back to herself.

Chris is off at Fry's (his favorite electronic store), and Becky and I are about to head off to Barnes and Noble to get Michael Pollan's new book that she highly recommended to me about our favorite topic - food! I LOVED the last one she gave me by Barbara Kingsolver on the same subject, so I am excited to see what this new one has to say.

No comments: