Monday, November 12, 2007

Don't Mess With Me...I'm a Mom!

Tonight at volleyball I got in my first fight - words not fists. A lady on the other team was being a witch and said some rude things to us. I defended our team without yelling or resorting to nastiness - something I think parenting has trained in to me. I never really thought that raising three children could help you manage issues in the adult world, but it turns out that there are possibilities for personal growth everywhere. One of the best parenting lines I have ever been taught is a simple, "I love you too much to argue." This is one of the most effective strategies I use with the boys, and it turns out to work pretty well with adults too - I just leave out the love part and say, I'm not going to argue with you. What can they say to that? You get to leave the argument looking pretty cool headed and they look like a jerk. So, thank you M, E, and T, you have changed me and made me a better person than I would have been without you.

Happy Birthday to my wonderful Mom who has also helped shape who I am and who I will become.

2 comments:

Andrea S. said...

oooh...sounds like some interesting vball drama! Did you win??? Please tell the team I miss them!

Susan Chaplin said...

ooh--good one. Yup, you learned that on your own, because I would have yelled some nastys right back at her. Good for you!!