Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Who put the RAM in that kid?

M and E were so cute this morning when they saw the Christmas tree lit for the first time. Both of them stood in awe, and M told me, "Wow, that's a really cool Christmas tree! Thanks for making it for me. I really like it." All three boys sat and stared at it for the first ten minutes they were awake. I didn't expect that, but I have to admit, the blinking bulbs are kind of mesmerizing, kind of like watching a fire. At breakfast I told M that we were going to put the ornaments on the tree when Daddy got home. He asked me what an ornament was, so I explained, and he said, "Oh, like that blue ball we got from Niagara Falls?" First of all we went to Niagara Falls almost 3 years ago, secondly, he hasn't seen that ornament since last Christmas. How the heck does he remember that?!? I didn't even really remember that it was a blue ball until he reminded me, and when I took it out, sure enough, it was exactly as he described it. Somehow, that kid got my Grandma's memory. Since I am on the subject, I will continue with E and his special talent. A few weeks ago we were on our way to meet my mom and dad at a state park, so we told the boys we were going to see Gma and Gpa but neglected to say where. After a few minutes of driving, E started having a fit in the back seat, so I turned around to figure out what the problem was. He kept saying something about going the wrong way. I ignored him because how would he know where the park was? Then I realized he thought we were going to Gma and Gpa's house - and he (correctly) realized we were going the wrong direction to get there. He can locate my car anywhere in the parking lot at the store, he can find the way back to the car on the hiking trail, and he can find his way home from anywhere in our neighborhood. That kid got my Dad's sense of direction. Chris likes to joke, "who put the GPS in that kid's head?" I think kids are amazing. I just wonder why my kids have all these talents and somehow they missed me? I can't remember anything (that's why I blog) or find myself out of a box (that's why I am always lost and without my keys).

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh Chris, don't you remember how you walked home from swimming lessons at age five all by yourself because I wasn't there to pick you up? It was 1.58 miles according to mapquest! I got there late to pick you up with the girls, and you were no where to be found. I was so worried! I never thought that you would know your way home or would even think to walk! I think there must be some of you in Ethan.