I find myself thinking of my Grandma a lot lately - ever since I took on the career she seemed to professionalize - stay at home mom. I have a recipe book with her famous recipes in it, some of which I have customized to make a bit healthier, and some I have left just as they are because I love them so much. I thought of her today when I made bread because that is something I will always equate with my Grandma. Every time we went to her house the smell of fresh rolls greeted us at the door and I have to say it reminds me a bit of heaven. As I have grown older and am raising children of my own I often stop to wonder what Grandma would think of various aspects of my life; the anemic fruit and vegetables I actually buy from the grocery store (she goes out to her back yard to pick sun ripened fruits), the endless laundry hot out of the dryer (she uses a line and sunshine), the bread maker I depend on (she uses her hands), the pounds of wasted vegetables from my garden because we are too lazy to pick and use it all (she preserves or pickles EVERYTHING and NOTHING is wasted), and the unlimited patience she seems to display with young children (I do not display such patience). How do you do it Grandma? You are, and whether you know it or not, have always been a source of inspiration to me. Therefore, today I have decided that the only thing better than fresh bread (which I LOVE) is a Grandma!Here's the bread I made today:
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup nonfat dried milk
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
Mix, let rise one hour, punch down, place in loaf pan, let rise 30 minutes, bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. I don't even buy bread anymore - this is just so much better - and I think of my Grandma every time I make it!
No comments:
Post a Comment