Saturday, December 1, 2007

Winter Run

Sometimes I am not so smart. I had it in my mind that I was going to go for a run this morning, and when I woke up it was snowing pretty hard. Chris wanted to grab some things from the store before the roads got too bad, so while he did that I shoveled the driveway. By the time he got home it was snowing even harder, but I was going to go on my run anyway thinking it would make me tougher, right? I got about a half mile away from the house before I started having visions of myself as an arctic explorer. The snow was more ice pellets and the wind must have been gusting 30 mph. In all the (fifteen) years I have been running, I have had my share of aches and pains during a run, but have never had my eyes hurt. The ice needles were hitting my eyes so hard I couldn't keep them open. So here I was, running through two foot high snow drifts, uphill, into the wind, with my eyes closed. It was not so fun. All I could think the whole time was, "this is stupid." I did finally finish the three mile loop, but I was sure glad to be home, and I plan on staying inside my nice warm house until this storm passes. Now, if I only had a fireplace...

M had a great time playing outside while Chris shoveled (after I had given up in exhaustion). He shoveled with Daddy, made snow angels, and threw snowballs. I have never seen him have so much fun in the snow before - and he was all by himself. I couldn't convince E to go play with him, and no other kids were outside.

I forgot to include a cute story in yesterday's posting: Yesterday when I went to pick M up from preschool his teacher asked me when we were leaving. "Leaving?", I asked. Apparently M had told her we were "moving to Minneapolis because Daddy got a new job, so goodbye!" It seems M thinks we are moving imminently, and isn't looking back.

2 comments:

Susan Chaplin said...

You are funny! and sometimes stubborn, huh? I love the way Matthew is like his mommy, who was always ready to move on to new things, new schools, new places. It's a great trait to have.

Andrea S. said...

Oh boy! I never would have made it past the driveway. Way to get it done anyhow! :) Maybe that's a new sport--eyes-closed snow running.