Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Boy Who Never Slept

I swear I have no clue how M does it. That child goes to bed later than me, wakes up earlier, and takes no naps. Admittedly, he is also the child with the feistiest temper, but for the most part, he seems to do pretty well the amount of (or lack of) sleep he gets. Last night Chris got called in to do an epidural just as we were going in to bed and got home after it turned into a stat c-section at 3am. So, Chris had reason to be tired today, but the rest of us had no such excuse. That didn't stop us. After a morning of playing, watching Christmas movies, and stimulating the Austin economy (shopping), we all (except for M) came back to the apartment and crashed for three hours! Good old M entertained himself quietly by watching Christmas movies, reading his books, and playing with his Legos. I think he has resigned himself to being in a family of sleepers and has learned how to play quietly and not disturb us - for fear of inciting the wrath of Mommy.
Today actually did feel a bit like a vacation for us. No cleaning to do, no laundry waiting to be done (except the load I forgot in the washer at home), no cooking (we had Applebee's and Quiznos today), and lots of snuggling and playing with my boys. If only Austin had a bit more to do...we visited the Mall, I ran by a nice looking library (but I never take my kids to the library due to a screaming fiasco last year that I am still recovering from), and there seem to be some nice looking parks and trails (but it was only 6 degrees today and I thought T would not appreciate a walk in weather that cold). We did go visit Santa at the mall. We weren't planning on it, but there he was, and there was NO line, so up M marched, and the Christmas wish list he did spew. He got about ten minutes alone with Santa because there were no other kids waiting in line and E wanted no part of this Christmas shenanigan. I didn't have my camera with me but we did buy a Polaroid (really, who uses those anymore!?!) that I will scan in when we get home. So, Chris and I plan on spending the rest of the evening watching the good cable (with HGTV and Food Network) the apartment provides us and hopefully get paid to sleep until 8am tomorrow - because that's as late as M can bear to let us sleepyheads stay in bed.

No comments: