We watched a terribly depressing movie last night called Children of Men, which takes place in the supposed future, in an insanely violent and chaotic world where humans are infertile. The youngest person alive was 19 years old, and the entire race had become depressed and violent. It was considered a miracle that one woman had become pregnant, and the story revolved around how to get her and her newborn baby to safety amid terrorism and war. It was really hard to watch, and when the movie finished, Chris and I just sat there sort of stunned and horrified, but interestingly, watching that movie was just what I needed. My kids have been driving me crazy lately with their puking, crazy pent up energy, and constant need for attention. I needed someone (or something) to punch me in the arm and say "Stop that! Appreciate the wonderful, healthy, beautiful children you have been blessed with. The laundry/dishes/Christmas to-doing can wait!" Therefore, I spent the rest of the evening snuggled up to my boys in their beds as they slept, hoping that they will be surrounded by love and happiness throughout their lives and will never have to face the type of tragedy and horror depicted in that movie.
In the spirit of trying to appreciate our blessings, we spent the day at home, cleaning, organizing, talking with my parents, and doing a little Christmas shopping. I don't care about my Christmas to-do list (as much) anymore. It will get done eventually (although perhaps after Christmas) and I will instead focus on the wonderful people in my life, because that's what this season is all about.
Alison's self improvement word of the day usage:
I was reminded today of how well Chris and I complement each other. I was snuggling with T in bed this morning when E decided he needed some waffles. Chris got up and made breakfast for us all while I talked with and cuddled with the boys. Then he vacuumed the carpets, cleaned up our room, organized our closet, and did the dishes. How is this a complementary relationship you ask? Well, I provided the moral support and running commentary - which we all know is the most important factor in getting any work done.
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Just What I Needed
Posted by
Alison
at
12:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment