Friday, December 7, 2007

Apartment Madness

I decided against staying home alone this weekend. I packed the boys up, filled up the gas tank, cleaned up the house, packed some food, and away we went when Chris left for his moonlighting shift. We are now staying with him in his apartment, and it's bringing back painful memories of living in our apartment in Jacksonville two Septembers ago. The boys seem to get this hyperactive loud energy every stinking night from about 5pm until 7pm, and any change in their routine only exacerbates the velocity. While Chris was checking in at the hospital and getting our pizza (it is Friday night after all) the boys were just going CRAZY in this two bedroom apartment - running back and forth from the bedrooms to the living room, jumping on the beds (I wonder where they learned that from?), tripping over lamp cords, and wrestling. In the first hour we were here they managed to break two light bulbs and trip a circuit breaker - which we couldn't find until I finally looked out in the hall. So, to sum it all up, I don't ever want to live in an apartment ever again. I am all of a sudden feeling very lucky to have a house where I can hide in my bedroom and not have to hear or watch the madness going on downstairs.
Despite all this, the day started off well. Chris got home from his liver transplant this morning about midnight and then we slept in until M came to get us because he was having trouble spelling "monster". Chris had no idea why he wanted to know that at 7am, but I knew. He wanted to Google "monster trucks" so he could play a game he had found the previous day. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to have to set up parental controls on the Internet for a few more years, but he is becoming alarmingly good at surfing the Internet already. Chris took the boys to soccer so I had two hours home alone to get the packing done (and some special time with T). After I took M to preschool I took myself to the pool and spent an hour flailing away. For some reason today was much harder than normal and I left exhausted. It sure was beautiful in the pool area - warm and humid with lots of sunshine. I wanted to get in the hot tub and stay there all afternoon, but I had a child to pick up. Alas, back to real life...and the dreaded apartment with static electricity that just doesn't stop.

1 comment:

Laura said...

You poor thing! Repeat after me: "It's only a rental". I hope your house sells in a timely manner and you don't have to move into an apartment for the interum. Of course, you would have to get a bigger apartment, and maybe it could even have an indoor pool with it. A gal can dream, right?