Thursday, December 27, 2007

An Evening to Play in the Snow

I spent the morning cleaning and putting away Christmas presents. I just don't understand why I always feel like there is more to clean. Will I ever feel done? I would love to just be able to say, "well, I have three kids, so I'm not going to worry about the mess", but I do worry about the mess. It drives me crazy, and I can't enjoy playing with my children unless we have a somewhat tidy and moderately clean room to play in. I just can't feel good about being surrounded by cracker crumbs, smashed Cheerios, dirty dishes in the sink, and laundry strewn about. It's still messy after four hours of work this morning, but I have declared a moratorium for the moment to do some writing and scrapbooking.

The boys went outside to play with Chris this evening on the big snow mountain that has formed right out in our cul-de-sac. I think some of the older kids have made a kind of slide off one side of it because M and E had a great time climbing up and then sliding back down. I took some pictures because it was pretty fun watching E climb a snow hill almost four times taller than him.

When they got tired of sliding they diverted their attention to driving their new remote control trucks out in the fresh snow. Those things are pretty powerful and go pretty fast in the snow. I was impressed. And now we have four, so Mommy gets to play too!

M doesn't have school this week, and I have really enjoyed having him around in the afternoon (and not having to drop him off and pick him up twice a day). We just started reading his first chapter book together today - a gift from Aunt Becky (my sister). The series is called The Magic Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne, and he loves it. E was confused because he wanted to see the pictures, and when I told him there weren't any he didn't believe me. He kept looking over at the book to make sure there really weren't any pictures. I told him he had to make his own pictures with his imagination. He looked at me like I was crazy, contemplated this gnomic pronouncement, and then walked away. I'm sure the idea will grow on him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ali, my mother-in-law once told me that when she had four boys at home and she too felt she couldn't keep up with the housework. Her mother told her to always remember that stuff can always wait enjoy your boys today for they will continue to grow up fast! Wise advice I thought to myself, because although I don't have a house full of children I can still identify with those feelings you have. However, her mother was right as much as those things bother you, when you look back on your life I hardly believe you will say "My house was always such a mess". Instead, you'll be thinking of all the great memories you have with your children and the fun things they said to you. Those are moments you may never get back. So forget the mess and continue to enjoy your three little darling boys!

Alison said...

Wise advice young child (not meant condesendingly) - you should start an advice blog. I would be a daily reader.

Blessed By 8 said...

I agree with both of you! The mess is such a hard thing to deal with, but they(the kids) grow up and are gone way too fast. It seems like only a few months ago that my now quite, remote, near 15 year old was two, telling us sotry upon story. Let's both make a pact to forget the mess, and get down to play with our kids!