Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Why Spring Cleaning Should Be Done In the Spring

Today I learned why people wait to do their outdoor cleaning until springtime. I was sick of all the smudges and smears on the deck sliding door, so I got out the Windex and some towels and started scrubbing. I discovered that most of the smudges were on the outside, so I opened the door, sprayed Windex on the outside, and started wiping. The Windex froze almost as soon as I wiped it, and I was left with an even smearier window than I started with. How wonderful. I also cleaned out my closet, put away all of my dresses, shoes, bags, short sleeved shirts, and anything I haven't worn in a year. The closet looks much bigger (that was the point), but there aren't many clothes left in there for me to wear.

The boys wore themselves out at class this morning, and T and E fell asleep in the car on the way home, and I was so happy to see Chris pull in the driveway at noon - that like never happens! He had to go back to work at 2pm, but it was enough that he could take M to school and I could leave E and T asleep in their beds. I took advantage of his appearance by disappearing - into my bed - I couldn't fall asleep last night after volleyball and only got four hours of sleep. So, a nap was greatly appreciated. All three of us awoke three (THREE!) hours later feeling very well rested and HUNGRY! We are always in a huge rush on Tuesday mornings, so we don't eat a very good breakfast - and both boys fell asleep before I could feed them lunch. I have never seen E eat so much. He had a big waffle, a banana, some crackers, two carrots, a big glass of milk, two oranges, and two bites of my sweet potato soup. I have no idea where he put it all. The sweet potato soup was very good by the way - I highly recommend it. Chris said it reminded him of rumagrit - but it reminded me of sweet potato casserole - just runnier.

I spent the afternoon after my luxuriously long nap making tortillas because we were having friends over to share one of the Let's Dish meals we had made together - Mu Shu Pork. I think normally it would go over rice, but it came with crummy gross tortillas, so I decided to make quesadillas for the kids with those and make some good tortillas for the adults. The kids didn't care - they didn't eat anyway. They were too busy playing. I don't even know what they all do together to have such a good time. All I know is that they are downstairs, not killing each other, and the house still has four walls when they leave. I do know that at 8pm all four kids came upstairs asking to take a bath. The other mom and I weren't sure if M and his friend A (a girl) were getting to be too old to take a bath together or not, but since it didn't seem to bother or embarrass them, we let them. All four kids piled into our jacuzzi tub and had a very good time. My floor got very very wet, but I think it was due for a good mopping anyway, so no harm done. Now I can check off "mop boy's bathroom floor" off my list of things to do. That's nice. The Fly Lady says "there's no wrong way to clean (or mop)." I just proved her right. Too bad I had to use the nice towels to mop up the water (the gross rag towels have been discarded thanks to that very same Fly Lady). Don't tell my house guests.

No comments: