Thursday, February 21, 2008

New Shoes for Baby T


This week I have been working on cleaning out my room and T's room. I even went through his sock drawer yesterday and relegated all the old, holey, dirty, threadbare, and mismatched socks to the trash. He had three pairs left. So, while I was at Target today I made it my mission to remember to get the child some new socks. Just as I was walking in the door I heard a little seven year old girl (I think the seven year old girls of the world are out to make me feel bad this week) ask her mom, "Why is that baby only wearing one sock?" I looked down at T's foot, and sure enough, he had managed to pull off and lose one of the socks of one of the three pairs of socks we had left (and they were cute!). Now I really had to find new socks - I can't do laundry fast enough to keep socks on his feet if I only have two pairs. I took my little cold footed baby to the baby aisle and found some very cute, crazy patterned, big enough socks - and some soft soled "shoes" to help keep the darn socks on his feet. I hope we can manage to keep them around a while. They're cute - they have little cars on them, and the whole way home T stared at his feet and kept running his hands over the little cars. I think he likes them.

The big boys had a fun day at school - apparently they both talked about the moon and the lunar eclipse last night. M came home with a bunch of drawings of the lunar eclipse - but none of them were as cool as the drawings that he and Chris did last night while I was at the pool. When I got home M was excited to show me how he had chronicled the passage of the Earth's shadow, how he had helped Daddy to take some pictures, and was excited to explain to me why there was a shadow on the Moon. I was excited to share with him something I had learned while leaving the pool - the star to the left of the moon wasn't actually a star - it was Saturn - and we wouldn't have been able to see it without the eclipse - the moon is too bright. He thought that was pretty cool. I think it's cool that there are so many interesting and intelligent people in the world that we can learn from if we just slow down and stop to listen to them (a local astronomy buff was having an impromptu lesson outside of the gym last night and I was interested enough to stop and join them for ten minutes on my way out of the gym).

Tonight as I was fixing dinner T started to get fussy in his chair. I went over to him and asked, "Are you all done? All done? All done?" (Aren't I annoying?) T looked at me and said, "Aaaahhh Daaaaa." I'm sure that means all done in baby talk. He was so pleased at my excitement he said it a few more times..."ahhh daaa, ahhh daaaa, ahhh daaa!". He's trying!

An update on yesterday's post: This morning I attempted to solve the clothing war by simply telling them that before they would get breakfast they would have to get dressed. They didn't care. They just skipped breakfast. So I tried again. They wanted to watch a cartoon. I told them they would have to get dressed before I turned on the T.V. They went to play in their room. I could see where this was going - they would sit in their rooms for hours before giving up their jammies. So I stripped them down and threw them in the washer (the jammies, not the kids). No fighting, no argument, no negotiations. I just did it. Then it happened. M told me, "Now I don't love you anymore!" I think I managed an "I'm sorry to hear that.", but my heart caught in my chest. I thought I had another ten years before I would have to listen to that. I handed both of them their clothes and walked away. About ten minutes later, M came up to me (fully dressed) and said, "sometimes I get angry with you, but I still love you." He took the words right out of my mouth.

2 comments:

Susan Chaplin said...

ooh, a budding scientist. M has learned to record his observations, and they were good ones too. It looks just like what I saw!

becky said...

Man! I'm sad I missed the eclipse. It was too overcast here. Stupid California rain!