I had a revelation this morning while I was drinking my coffee and feeding T breakfast (the big boys were still sleeping). I will never get to sleep in past 7am ever again. If it's not a baby waking me up at 6:45am, it will be my school age children that have to be on the bus at 7:10. I had forgotten how early school age kids have to get up to get the bus, but I saw them hoofing it out to their bus stops right after 7am. Yikes, I still had my pajamas on. I think I kind of figured that when I was done with school and as a stay at home mom I would finally be able sleep until a reasonable hour (like 9am or so), but no, that's not the way it works. It turns out kids don't like to sleep, and when they get to the age that they do like to sleep, they have to get up for school. It's really very sad. We're a nation that manages to continue function despite chronic sleep deprivation. Take Chris for example, the guy has massive amounts of energy and has an amazingly small sleep requirement, but if you set him in a quiet room for ten minutes (like today with E while they were watching Batman), he falls asleep immediately. I tell you, I think the whole world would be a happier place if we could all just agree to start our days two hours later and get a little extra sleep. But, that's never going to happen, so I will just continue to grumble about how unfair it is that a night owl like me has to keep getting up for my early bird children at 7am.
In other exciting news: I stopped by the grocery store on the way home from volleyball (an actual grocery store - not Target for once), because I needed special heart shaped cookies for E's class tomorrow (and they can't be homemade because they think we stupid mothers might poison our children or something). I noticed that this real grocery store had a natural foods section (does that mean that all of the rest of the food in the store is un-natural? Scary.) I actually found a lot of great products - like a locally made apple syrup (well, it's from Wisconsin anyway) with no additives or preservatives. It's from Indian Creek Orchard, and I am excited to try it. I also like that it's about $5 cheaper than real maple syrup (remember, I'm trying to get my family to eat real food instead of food products - so no Mrs. Buttersworths or any other ersatz syrup right now), because my kids eat so many waffles we can go through a large bottle of syrup in a week. Also, I found some big packages of sea salt, which is supposed to taste better than the regular stuff I buy (but isn't it all NaCl anyway, so what's the difference? And why do they put dextrose in it? Maybe that's why it tastes better?) I bought it anyway - just to find out. I'm pretty sure that's it's not local. My last exciting find: Annie's Spaghettios! I know I have seen those at Target, but I never stopped to read the label. I know that any kind of spaghettio is a processed food item (and therefore something I am trying to cut down on), but M will only eat a very limited amount of things, and I can't very well starve the child. At least I recognize and can pronounce every ingredient in Annie's spaghettios, and there's no corn syrup (you would have to read The Omnivore's Dilemma to understand how evil that stuff is). So there, I learned some interesting things tonight, I have some research to do on sea salt, and I can't wait to try my "local" apple syrup. It was a well spent evening of grocery shopping.
Oh okay, one more thing...
After I fed T this morning, as I was drinking my coffee and absorbed in the newspaper (still before M or E had woken up), T started yelling at me (the help yell). I looked over and he had managed to pull himself up to, over, and head first into his toy bin. Only his feet were visible. I pulled him out, but apparently, he hadn't gotten what he wanted. He did it all over again. I guess he really wanted that blue car that Uncle Derek gave E for Christmas.
In other exciting news: I stopped by the grocery store on the way home from volleyball (an actual grocery store - not Target for once), because I needed special heart shaped cookies for E's class tomorrow (and they can't be homemade because they think we stupid mothers might poison our children or something). I noticed that this real grocery store had a natural foods section (does that mean that all of the rest of the food in the store is un-natural? Scary.) I actually found a lot of great products - like a locally made apple syrup (well, it's from Wisconsin anyway) with no additives or preservatives. It's from Indian Creek Orchard, and I am excited to try it. I also like that it's about $5 cheaper than real maple syrup (remember, I'm trying to get my family to eat real food instead of food products - so no Mrs. Buttersworths or any other ersatz syrup right now), because my kids eat so many waffles we can go through a large bottle of syrup in a week. Also, I found some big packages of sea salt, which is supposed to taste better than the regular stuff I buy (but isn't it all NaCl anyway, so what's the difference? And why do they put dextrose in it? Maybe that's why it tastes better?) I bought it anyway - just to find out. I'm pretty sure that's it's not local. My last exciting find: Annie's Spaghettios! I know I have seen those at Target, but I never stopped to read the label. I know that any kind of spaghettio is a processed food item (and therefore something I am trying to cut down on), but M will only eat a very limited amount of things, and I can't very well starve the child. At least I recognize and can pronounce every ingredient in Annie's spaghettios, and there's no corn syrup (you would have to read The Omnivore's Dilemma to understand how evil that stuff is). So there, I learned some interesting things tonight, I have some research to do on sea salt, and I can't wait to try my "local" apple syrup. It was a well spent evening of grocery shopping.
Oh okay, one more thing...
After I fed T this morning, as I was drinking my coffee and absorbed in the newspaper (still before M or E had woken up), T started yelling at me (the help yell). I looked over and he had managed to pull himself up to, over, and head first into his toy bin. Only his feet were visible. I pulled him out, but apparently, he hadn't gotten what he wanted. He did it all over again. I guess he really wanted that blue car that Uncle Derek gave E for Christmas.
2 comments:
Oh my gosh, I totally hear you....much to my husband's dismay, I will never be a morning person...ever! If it helps, I drive my kids to school every morning in my jammies. Half the time, I am picking up Crispy at the bus stop 3 hours later....still in my jammies!!!
As far as sleeping in goes, it's only a dim memory from when I was a teenager! The good news is that you may be able to sleep in when summer comes and the kids aren't in school, but then the sun comes up early, etc. It's an evil plot to get us all up. Also, after the kids decide they like sleeping in, so you could sleep in, too. Guess what? You can't anymore. I can't explain it, it just isn't possible. I suppose it's from years getting up at 5 AM that turned me into a person unable to be a night owl anymore. Who knows? Oh well, life is for the living, and I can sleep when I'm dead!
Post a Comment