Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Miracle of Technology

When Chris got home tonight we made the decision to make our way over to the caucus site so we could be a part of Minnesota history. We were shocked to see how many other people wanted to be in on the action also - there was a line of cars a mile long in every direction to get into the high school - and then once we were inside there was another line another mile long to find out which room we were supposed to go to. Thankfully, I was armed with my cell phone and my sister bailed us out - she was able to Google which ward and precinct we belong to - and I found a sign telling me which subsequent room to head to. Thank goodness for the internet and cell phones - how did we ever live without them? By the time we cast our "ballots" (small pieces of scrap paper), we had wasted 90 minutes, with all three boys in tow, and I wanted to get the heck out of there. Getting out was another struggle because there were even more people lined up now, and they were blocking the way to the car! AAARRRGGGHHH! I'm pretty sure I won't go do that ever again - why couldn't we just have a primary election like so many other states?

When I got home my sister called wanting to hear all about the legendary Minnesota caucus, and I wanted to go out for a run. We settled on talking while walking. I have never had such a wonderful time speed walking through our cold, dark, ice laden, windy neighborhood, and the time passed so quickly I was home before I had even finished telling all the stories I wanted to tell her. We decided we need to do this more often so we have now set a time and date: every Thursday at 7pm (my time) I will call her and we will head out on our walk - it will be like having a long distance running buddy. I have never been able to keep up with my sister on runs (without seriously straining myself), and now I have found the perfect way! She can run as fast as she wants - and I as slow as I want, and we can still talk. The miracle of technology! Now I just need one of those super cool blue-tooth headsets (and a phone that can handle one). For now, I'm going to have to use one of those wired headsets they gave away at the State Fair a few years ago - I guess it is a good thing Chris is such a pack-rat - he saved me from having to pay amazon.com $10 to ship me one. I do have to say that I think I got the bum end of our workout bargain - I have to walk in the cold, dark, on icy sidewalks, and uphill while my sister gets to walk in the sunlight, flat ground, warm air, and without all the excess weight a down parka provides. She told me tonight, "if it makes you feel any better, I don't have gloves and the hand that's holding the phone is a little cold." No, it doesn't make me feel any better, but I guess living here was kind of my choice - not really - it was Chris' choice, but I did choose to marry him.

And on to kid news:
My boys were tired today from all the birthday hullabaloo. We had class this morning at 9:15am, and of course, they were all still asleep at 8:50am. I was conflicted. Should I take them to class or let them sleep? What to do, what to do...then I dropped my hairbrush. It was loud - so loud it woke all three kids up immediately. We made it to class right on time. That worked out well, huh?

But there were still tired. After I took M to preschool, both E and T fell asleep in the van on the way home (it's a two minute drive). I carried them both into their beds and they slept for 2 1/2 hours. Now that's a good afternoon for Mommy.

My M -ism for the day:
At the caucus tonight M announces to the entire world (really loudly), "SOME PEOPLE HAVE BLACK SKIN. THAT MEANS THEY DON'T GET A SUNBURN. THAT'S A COOL BLACK SKIN YOU GOT THERE. CAN I HAVE A BLACK SKIN SOMEDAY?" Great M, thanks for that super helpful ineffectual observation.
And now for once and for all to see if I can post video:

Wow, what do you know. I can. How about that for exciting video? I promise I'll do better. This was just an experiment.

2 comments:

Blessed By 8 said...

I love it!!!!Once when Alex was about three, we were walking past a bald man in the parking lot and Alex yelled, "Hello, Mr. Jellybean Head!"
Someone needs to invent an instant invisibility cloak for parents in these situations!

DrM1ck said...

Matthew made an observation like that to a bald guy at the Sprint cell phone store. While standing in line, he looks at this bald clerk, and in his loudest voice he says, "Hey Dad, why's that guy not wearing any hair?" The clerk just laughed, as did EVERYONE else in the store. Gotta love kids!