Sunday, February 3, 2008

I Have A Five Year Old!

Five years ago today I had my first baby. I was a new mom and I was so excited and happy, and TIRED. My little boy has taught me a lot over these past five years and we have both changed a lot in that time (except for the me being tired part - that never changes). That little baby who snuggled on my chest as a newborn and screamed at me for daring to put him in his crib when he was two months old, and screamed at me some more when he was two years old has grown up into a great big five year old boy - who still sometimes screams at me - but really only because I deserve it. My big boy is turning into an increasingly more interesting person every day, and mom made the comment yesterday that he's a real little person who you can talk to now and have a real conversation with, which is starting to be so fun for me. He loves to help me with anything I am doing and really seems to care about what I am feeling. I feel like I have a built in little buddy hanging out with me every day. His sense of humor is really developing, so we can sit and giggle for hours over the silly things that only kids can really think are funny. I think watching him laugh is more funny than whatever it is that makes him laugh - he's always had a good strong belly laugh that can make even the most morose person break out in a grin.

I think my little M had a pretty good birthday. I didn't make him wait to open his presents - what's the point in that? He was still in his pajamas when I let him tear into those great big beautiful gifts, and he knew just what they were going to be. A Hot Wheels Thunder Launcher and a Lego airplane. He asked for the Thunder Launcher for Christmas, but Santa told him that he thought a different track would be a little better constructed. He was dubious and wanted a chance to see for himself. So, all he asked for for his birthday was the Thunder Launcher, and thankfully Daddy obliged. Unfortunately, the thing only works with special (expensive) Hot Wheels cars that make the most annoying noises (and run on three watch batteries), so I'm hoping he either loses interest really quickly or that watch batteries don't last long. Since neither of those are much a possibility I think I had better steel myself for a very long and annoying ride with the Thunder Launcher and it's tiresome cars.

I spent the day making M's birthday lunch, birthday cake, cleaning up birthday mess, and taking a much needed nap. Both T and I weren't feeling super great today, which made for a crabby baby and an increasingly crabby Mom. I finally left crabbaby with Chris and went out for a very dark but fairly warm run, and when I returned home the crabbaby was asleep in his crib - something we hadn't been able to get him to do all day long - Yay Chris! At this point E has collapsed in his tent (that's the only place he sleeps now) and M is still going strong, fueled by chocolate cake and root beer, playing with all of his new exciting and wonderful toys. Grandma and Grandpa M and C were very good to him this year. Thank goodness, because Mom and Dad were kind of out of ideas.

2 comments:

Andrea S. said...

Happy Birthday Matthew! Sounds like he had a great time and is going to enjoy the Thunder Launcher for a good long time! :)

Blessed By 8 said...

Happy Birthday, dear Matthew!!!
I can't believe how big you are! Today was so beautiful with the frost covering all the tree branches...like a sparkling winter wonderland, and it lasted all day long. It reminded me so much of how beautiful it was the morning you were born!!!Have fun with all of your new toys!!!